Recipe by Dib's
This a great rustic loaf that pares well with wine and cheese. Toss in some fruit and a good book.................................... Prep time includes rise time.
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pitted black olives, sliced (Kalmata if you can)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the flour and salt.
- Give it a quick mix and add the oil, olives, onions along with the remaining 3/4 cup water.
- Mix until dough is evenly blended, around 3 minutes or so.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and kneed for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl, turn once and cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel and place in a warm spot until doubled, around 2 hours.
- Sprinkle a pizza pan with the corn meal.
- Punch down the bread dough, shape into a round shape, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake bread for 15 minutes at 400 degrees then reduce heat to 375 degrees.
- Bake until bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom and top is a golden brown color.
- Brush with melted butter, top with shredded cheddar and bake for 5-7 minutes more.
- Remove and let cool on a rack.