Recipe by evelyn/athens
We loved this as a reasonably-quick, mightily-delicious dinner. From Canadian Living - so it's tested until perfect.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for DH and I so I cut the recipe in half and wish I would have left the full amount...I wanted some the next day! This was really quite easy and delicious. I followed the directions using beef broth and adding dry sherry. Definately a keeper. Made for New Kids on the Block. Thank you for submitting the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 large)
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups thinly sliced small mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry or 1⁄3 cup wine
- 4 cups sodium-reduced beef broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded swiss-style cheese
- 4 slices baguette
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, sugar, thyme and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add sherry; cook, scraping up browned bits, until no liquid remains.
- Add broth and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle cheese over bread slices; broil on baking sheet until golden, about 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; top with croutes.