We loved this as a reasonably-quick, mightily-delicious dinner. From Canadian Living - so it's tested until perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 large)
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups thinly sliced small mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or 1/3 cup wine
- 4 cups sodium-reduced beef broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded swiss-style cheese
- 4 slices baguette
- 1In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, sugar, thyme and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- 2Add mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add sherry; cook, scraping up browned bits, until no liquid remains.
- 3Add broth and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 4Meanwhile, sprinkle cheese over bread slices; broil on baking sheet until golden, about 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; top with croutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Mushroom Soup With Cheese Croutes
Serving Size: 1 (641 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.6
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 793.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 13.4 g