Recipe by karen
With Passover coming up, I thought I would add this recipe for some variety to the dinner table.
Top Review by Tarteausucre
We made this with some scratch chicken matzo ball soup and this for dinner in celebration of passover. We filled up on matzo balls so much that we only ate a tiny bit. Although a few nights later I turned this into some 'mashed potatoes' and made it into a fabu shepards pie. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb small mushroom, quartered
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Saute onions over medium heat approximately 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and saute until browned.
- While onions and mushrooms are cooking, cut potatoes into large pieces and roughly mash.
- Stir broth in with potatoes, then add beaten eggs.
- Stir in 1/2 cup mushroom onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Spoon half of the potato mixture into a 8 x 8 square casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining mushroom onion mixture, then with remaining potato.
- Smooth top of potatoes and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until top is firm and light golden at edges.