Recipe by Bergy
If you would rather use chicken (equally good) substitute 1 lb ground chicken for the pork or cubed chicken. The well done onions give this a very distinctive taste. Serve with a green salad and a crusty roll
- 4 medium sweet onions, thin sliced (apprx 6 cups)
- a spray vegetable oil
- 1 lb sausage meat (something like English Bangers, casings removed or your favorite sausage meat)
- salt & pepper
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (if you wanr it hot leave in seeds & Membrane, I use 2 peppers)
- 1⁄2 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (if you want the casserole creamier use more soup)
- 1⁄2 cup flavorful cheese (white aged cheddar, regular cheddar or your favorite cheese)
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed and crumbed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a skillet with veggie oil and saute the onions until very brown (just under burnt).
- remove from pan.
- Saute the mushrooms until light golden& remove from pan.
- Fry the sausage meat until done, use a spatula to break up any lumps in the sausage meat.
- Fry until cooked and lightly browned.
- Drain any Fat.
- Mix all the ingredient (except crumbs& Butter) and place in a lghtly greased casserole.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the butter over the bread crumbs, mix well and just before putting the casserole in the oven sprinkle the buttered crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and it is heated through.