Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This hearty soup combines the natural sweetness of caramelized onions with leek and mushrooms. The nutty flavor of wild rice adds something special. You can use brown rice if you prefer. This can be vegetarian by using veggie broth in place of the ask for meat broth. A food processor will make short work of the chopping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup sliced leek (3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend (or 2 tsps brown sugar)
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, button or 3 cups brown button mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot (2 medium)
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups de-fatted beef broth (also reduced-sodium and should not be too strong)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wild rice or 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion and leeks in hot oil, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until onions and leeks are tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes more or until onions and leeks are golden brown.
- Stir mushrooms and carrots into onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat about 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in chicken broth, the 1-3/4 cups beef broth, cooked rice, sherry (if desired), and pepper.
- In a screw-top jar combine the 1/2 cup cold water and flour. Cover and shake until smooth; stir into the soup mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Makes four 1-3/4-cup servings.
Rich, meaty and delicious. I skipped the sugar and halved the pepper. We made it with brown rice, but I bet the wild rice would be great in it too. Very comforting.
What a wonderfully rich flavored soup!! I made using a mix shiitake and baby bella mushrooms, wild rice and 3 TBS cream sherry (did not have dry). We loved the combo of flavors and felt the sherry was a brilliant touch. Thanks so much for the post.
Lovely soup. Our markets don't carry loose, fresh mushrooms, so I subbed in some rehydrate, dried, mixed ones, along with buttons. I also used a mix of wild/brown rice. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)