Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was in The Ontario Seasonal Cookbook, 2007, which I recieved in a cookbook swap! This savory jam is delicious served with meats, & is also a great appetizer spread!
Top Review by invictus
I reduced the recipe by 1/3 with great success. The only thing I would do differently next time is to chop up the onions instead of slicing. It was a bit difficult to eat for me. I thought this was delicious and went well with my tomato and balsamic vinegar chicken that I made for dinner last night. I slathered this on some homemade rolls.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 onions, medium, sliced thinly
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy frying pan, then add onions & saute untils slightly brown.
- Season with salt, then reduce heat & continue to cook, stirring constantly, until caramelized & tender.
- Add rest of ingredients EXCEPT the tomato, & cook on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato & cook 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat & let cool.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.