Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe on another website and decided to try it as an accompaniment to grilled portobello burgers. It is so sweet and mellow. I can't wait to try it with other dishes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, covered, until the onions have wilted, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the red wine and simmer over high heat until most of the wine gets absorbed into the onions.
- Add the honey and red wine vinegar and simmer gently until the onions get jam-like, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with burgers, steak, chicken breasts, etc.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge.