Recipe by Nana Lee
This is a favorite appetizer. Pour it over some melted Brie or softened cream cheese, and serve with crisp crackers for a really incredible taste sensation. The number of jars is dependent on what size they are.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Stir in sugar, then cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture turns a light caramel brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, salt and pepper, then cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, to brown and cook onions.
- Add vinegar and caraway seed and stir well to mix.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes until mixture combines and thickens.
- Cool completely.
- Store in tightly sealed containers in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
- Serve over a Brie cheese that has been heated in a 350 degrees F oven for 10-12 minutes, or over a room temp block of cream cheese.
- Also can be used as a sandwich spread.
- If after putting in hot jar(s) you wish to preserve this for longer than 3 weeks, invert sealed jars on folded towel and let cool completely.
- Test jar lid(s) for proper seal.
- This is called inversion canning.