Recipe by katie in the UP
I received a Blue Ribbon for this recipe in 1997 at the Fresno County Fair. This goes very well, with ham. I also like to use it as a base for salad dressings! This recipe also uses 1 pkg of low sugar pectin (powdered type).
Top Review by Mommy Diva
Very nice jam..flavorful. Imade this for gifts this holiday and also served it over brie with appetizers. It was a big hit - especially with one of my Brit friends who felt it was like a chutney. She couldn't get enough of it. Next round I may chop the onions a bit more as I only thinly sliced and thought they were a little "stringy" for my personal preference. I loved the spices - flavor is terrific. I used red wine vinegar based on the otehr reviewer's post. Thank you for a fabuous recipe!
- 354.88 ml apple juice
- 118.29 ml wine vinegar
- 19.71 ml chopped fresh sage
- 2.46 ml ground sage
- 14.78 ml gourmet blend pepper, ground
- 946.36 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 2.46 ml oleo
- 1892.72 ml red onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions, apple juice, vinegar and spices in a pot. Mix 1/4 cup sugar with 1 pkg of low sugar pectin. Put pectin mixture in pot with onions. Add oleo, bring to a full boil. Stir constantly. Add rest of sugars, boil exactly 5 minutes.
- Ladle into prepared jars.
- Process 5 minutes in boiling water canner, making sure all have sealed properly.