Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I pulled this one off the net last year-don't know who posted it but it's pretty good. Great on bagles or spread on crossiant dough before you roll and bake.
- 10 lbs yellow onions or 10 lbs red onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a large, heavy pot melt butter over medium heat and add onions, stir and cook down to half the"size amount.
- "Reduce heat to low and continue cooking and stirring until onions are carmel in color.
- Add honey and vinegar and cook down again until thick.
- Taste and add more honey or vinegar if you like.
- Freezer Recipe.
I printed this recipe out ages ago and finally made it. I made just half a recipe, and I can imagine using the whole 10 pounds of onions next time. It came out great! The only changes that I made were that I used a mix of butter and olive oil instead of just butter and that I added a bit of thyme from looking at some other recipes. I used it as a garnish for baked chicken; really tasty. This is a fantastic and simple recipe, thanks for posting, Dib's.
Good stuff! I love basalmic vinegar wih onions.