Recipe by ElleFirebrand
A simple and savory onion frittata. From The Vegetarian Epicure. Posted for ZWT 4, Italy.
Top Review by under12parsecs
Oh so good! I halved the recipe, added 1/2 c sharp cheddar on top of the onions and instead of flippingm put it in the oven to finish for 10 min @ 350* This was wonderful!
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chives, snipped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and coarsely chop onions. Heath the olive oil in a skillet and saute the onions until slightly golden. Add the parsley, chives and basil, saute a few minutes more, stirring often.
- Beat the eggs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stir the onions and herbs one more time, then distribute evenly in the skillet. Lower the heat as much as possible and cook until the eggs are barely firm on top, 10-15 minutes on very low heat.
- Turn a large plate upside down over the skillet like a lid and overturn the skillet quickly, dropping the frittata onto the plate. Slide the frittata back into the skillet and brown the other side for a few minutes.
- Turn the frittata onto a serving plate and cut into wedges just before serving. It may be eaten hot, cool or at room temperature.