Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Herb bread with onion and dill.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
- melted butter
- Crisco (for greasing the pans)
- Scald the milk and remove from the heat- stir in the sugar, salt and butter until dissolved, and then cool mixture to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in water.
- Add cooled milk mixture.
- Stir flour into yeast mixture.
- Add minced onions and dill weed, and then stir together until well blended, about two minutes.
- Cover with a cotton towel and let rise until tripled in bulk (approximately 60 to 90 minutes).
- Punch down and separate into two pieces.
- Place each piece into a separate eight-inch greased pan and spread dough until it is covering the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to an hour.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
I just want to say that I tried this recipe twice, first time I tried with my breadmachine and it failed so I tried it the way recipe calls for and I still failed. I am not sure if it is me doing something wrong or what .. It never rose for me but I still put in the oven, it came out with a hard shell and I can't really explain the inside texture but I do know it wasn't what it was surpose to be. I fellowed the recipe to the tea this last time I tried it. I'm sorry it didn't work out for me!