Recipe by Mille®
English recipe traditionally served with sausages. Very good served with all types of poultry and game birds.
Top Review by Babybub
5 stars and I don't even like onions! DH and I decided to try Toad in the Hole. That was our first time eating English food. This gravy was the only reason we could eat it. I used thyme and sage. Excellent!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved then sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 12 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the onions and sauté until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and continue to cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, herbs and Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook until thickened.
- Partially cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to develop, stirring from time to time.