Recipe by lmj9476
I went to Roy's and had the most delicious onion gratin. I went on a search, and this is the closest I can find. It is creamy, cheesy and makes a wonderful side dish to any steak or chicken dinner. I used Gruyere cheese.
Top Review by jjzimmer1
Absolutely yummy. Made this with a raost pork on weekend. Was more of a gravy consistency than a side dish but worked a treat on top of pork. Could use as a sauce for chicken and vegies also.
- 2 large yellow onions (peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (or Gruyere)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the onions onto a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the thyme.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the heavy cream and wine in a sauce pan until it starts to bubble on the edges.
- Transfer the onions to a baking dish and spoon the cream onto them.
- Cover in foil and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the parmigiano reggiano on top.
- Increase the temperature to 450°F and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.