1/4 Photos of Onion Gratin
After looking at the kind review of Chef#296809, I have revised it and made it myself. A recipe adapted from the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association but with quite a few changes. The directions do not include the time to make the hard boiled eggs. If you love cooked onion, I hope you give this a try! DH and I think it is delicious. And a great way to use those leftover hard boiled eggs and bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup gruyere cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled-or 4 strips
- 1In a large size heavy skillet melt the butter and cook the onions over medium heat until soft, between 15 and 20 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. You do NOT want the onions to be crunchy later.
- 2Add flour, stirring, and cook about 1 minute.
- 3Gradually stir in milk and cook 4 minutes; add cream, salt, and pepper.
- 4Remove skillet from stove top and set aside to cool slightly.
- 5Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 6When oven is pre-heated, taste sauce and adjust with more salt and pepper to suit your taste preferences (I like to add quite a bit more pepper).
- 7After taste adjustment, add 1 beaten egg to the cooled onion mixture and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- 8Pour the onion sauce into a lightly sprayed pie dish.
- 9Cover with layer of egg slices and sprinkle with cheese.
- 10Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes-depends upon your oven.
- 11Top with bacon crumbles.
- 12Allow to set for 5 minutes so that it will set up and be easier to plate.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.5
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 176.5 mg
- Sodium 392.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 13.3 g