Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Baguette slices are topped with a fragrant caramelized onion and garlic mixture.
- 1 tablespoon Land o' Lakes Butter
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb Alpine Lace reduced-fat swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb French baguette, cut into 32 slices
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add 3 cups onions and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and golden (8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine green onions, cheese and salt in medium bowl.
- Add cooled onion mixture; mix well.
- Place bread slices onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 4 minutes.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons onion mixture onto each bread slice.
- Continue baking for 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Note: Make the onion and garlic spread before the party.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tasty. I made this as directed with the only change being I used "Italian Style Blend" cheese. We really liked it and ate it all. Thanks.
Yum! These little treats were just the ticket for a snack on a winter afernoon. Very flavorful and easy to make. I halved the recipe and that was fine. The onion mixture was wonderful and I can definately see it used as a topping for other things like hot dogs, burgers or steaks.
This one is a must for garlic and onion lovers. We snacked on these after the fireworks. Very savory in flavor but buttery good. I couldn't eat just one. I used regular Swiss cheese. The topping was so incredible, I could have eaten it alone. You can only eat these with people who love you cause your breath will stink. Thanks RecipeNut.