2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 5 mins
Brian B's Note:
This delicious multipurpose light bread can be eaten alone or used to make a very yummy Italian Panini! I make it all the time for get togethers or just a great appetizer. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup water (Lukewarm)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (Fresh and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons thyme (Fresh and chopped)
- 6 -8 garlic cloves (Peeled and Crushed)
- 1 shallot (Peeled and Crushed)
- 2 -4 cups bread flour
- 1 large Spanish onion (Peeled and Sliced)
- 1Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- 2Cook onion in a sauté pan with a small amount of oil over medium heat until onions are cooked thoroughly but not brown. Transfer to a colander and cool, ensuring all liquid has dripped out.
- 3Combine yeast, water and sugar in the bowl of the mixer and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foaming begins. Add all other ingredients (except the onions) along with 2 cups of the bread flour and begin to mix with the dough hook on a medium-low speed, adding more flour as needed until dough forms, is slightly sticky but pulls cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Mix dough for 12 minutes from start to finish.
- 4Place dough in a large mixing bowl that has been coated with oil and turn dough over so the dough itself has been completely coated with oil. Cover with plastic and store in a warm room temperature place for 1-2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- 5Remove dough from the mixing bowl, place onto a clean work surface and gently roll or press out to a large rectangle approximately 9x14 inches in size. Transfer to an oiled and semolina dusted baking tray and top with the onions, leaving a one-inch border. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until top and bottom are evenly brown. Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting. Serve and Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Focaccia.
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 244.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g