Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An entree to impress even the most finicky guest.
Make and share this Onion Crusted Salmon With Caviar recipe from Food.com.
- In a skillet cook 3 cups of the onions in 1/2 cup water over moderate heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are very soft.
- Add the vinegar and cook the mixture for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the broth and simmer, stirring for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a bowl, reserving it, and in a food processor puree the onions with 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid.
- In a saucepan, boil remaining reserved liquid until reduced to about 1 cup.
- Stir the onion puree into the reduced liquid, stir in the cream, and keep the sauce warm, covered, over very low heat.
- Toss the remaining 2 cups onions with the flour, shake off the excess, reserving it.
- In a deep fryer, heat the peanut oil to 375F and fry the onions, a few at a time, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer the onions with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and chop them into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In an ovenproof skillet heat the olive oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook the salmon, skin side up and seasoned with salt and pepper, for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn the fillets carefully with a spatula and cook them for 2 minutes more.
- Dip the tops of the fillets carefully into the reserved flour, coat them with the egg, and top them with the fried onions.
- Return the fillets to the skillet, spoon any remaining fried onions on top of the fillets, and bake the fillets, covered loosely with foil, in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Divide the sauce among 4 heated plates, transfer the salmon with a spatula to the plates and spoon the caviar decoratively onto it.