1 hr 10 mins
Smurfetta Chef #427781's Note:
An entree to impress even the most finicky guest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a skillet cook 3 cups of the onions in 1/2 cup water over moderate heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are very soft.
- 2Add the vinegar and cook the mixture for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated.
- 3Add the broth and simmer, stirring for 30 minutes.
- 4Strain the liquid through a sieve into a bowl, reserving it, and in a food processor puree the onions with 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid.
- 5In a saucepan, boil remaining reserved liquid until reduced to about 1 cup.
- 6Stir the onion puree into the reduced liquid, stir in the cream, and keep the sauce warm, covered, over very low heat.
- 7Toss the remaining 2 cups onions with the flour, shake off the excess, reserving it.
- 8In a deep fryer, heat the peanut oil to 375F and fry the onions, a few at a time, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- 9Transfer the onions with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and chop them into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 10In an ovenproof skillet heat the olive oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook the salmon, skin side up and seasoned with salt and pepper, for 1 1/2 minutes.
- 11Turn the fillets carefully with a spatula and cook them for 2 minutes more.
- 12Dip the tops of the fillets carefully into the reserved flour, coat them with the egg, and top them with the fried onions.
- 13Return the fillets to the skillet, spoon any remaining fried onions on top of the fillets, and bake the fillets, covered loosely with foil, in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- 14Divide the sauce among 4 heated plates, transfer the salmon with a spatula to the plates and spoon the caviar decoratively onto it.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Crusted Salmon With Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (900 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2488.0
- Calories from Fat 2145
- Total Fat 238.4 g
- Saturated Fat 42.9 g
- Cholesterol 202.4 mg
- Sodium 1012.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 47.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: