Recipe by twissis
I know you must be thinking I have surely lost my marbles, but at least read this intro b4 you move on. Like many of us, I often “feast w/my eyes” & the pic of this recipe definitely invited a feast. This was found in *Birta* (Icelandic version of the TV Guide) & is prob the most creative & unique recipe to tempt me in quite some time. As a tasty side-dish, it would be compatible w/almost every main entrée + a great source of table conversation to boot. Be open-minded & give this a try. :-)
Top Review by Jostlori
What a unique and tasty onion! I just loved the filling - it was creamy, sweet and spicy. And the presentation was beautiful. I?d like to try this again in ramekins, but have a feeling we?ll be making it in the onion over and over again. It is a bit of work to hollow out the onion shells, but well worth it. One of my onions shrank while it cooked in the oven, and the bottom layers contracted, allowing the ?custard? to flow out. So be careful to leave a good, thick bottom, but thinner on the sides to allow the onion to cook through. Thanks, Mary Pat, for posting such a unique and wonderful recipe! Gourmet Goddesses ZWT9.
- 2 large white onions
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 1 slice bacon (cooked crisp & crumbled as garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C Peel onion, leaving the root-end intact. Cut the non-root end top from the onion & trim the root-end slightly to allow the onion shell to sit flat.
- Remove as much of the inside pulp as poss w/o tearing the shell & set the onion top + inside pulp aside. Bake shell in the oven for 10 minute Do not turn off the oven.
- Rough chop the onion top + inside pulp. In a non-stick skillet, combine the chopped onion w/sugar + cayenne pepper & simmer till soft. Add cream + egg yolk, stir to mix well & remove from heat.
- Mound onion mixture into the onion shells & bake for 7 minute Allow to cool slightly, sprinkle w/crumbled bacon (if using) & serve immediately w/entrée of choice.
- NOTE: For those of you who might be put off by the process for preparing the onion shells, this can easily be prepared & served in ramekins.