Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Skillet corn bread with onions
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Chop the onion and sautee it in the skillet with the butter.
- (It's more butter than you need for the onion, but it will all go into the mix.) In a bowl, fully mix the dry ingredients.
- Separately, beat the eggs with the milk.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture and the sauteed onions and butter with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mix into the skillet.
- Place the skillet in a 400 degree oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy it with honey.
This was terrific. The addition of the sauteed onion gave a nice change from ordinary corn bread.This went great with a pot of spicey chili on a cold winter night.