1/1 Photo of Onion Confit, Walnut and Gorgonzola Pizza
1 hr 10 mins
The onions are sauteed until caramalized, and add a full and rich flavor offset by the creamy Gorgonzola, the toasted walnuts and the earthy sage. You can make the confit in advance. You can make your own pizza dough, buy it in the grocery store, or sometimes your local pizza place will sell you some. For a delicious variation, use basil instead of sage. Adapted from Fields of Greens cookbook.
My Private Note
15" piz ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or use veg. stock)
- pizza dough (uncooked and ready to roll out)
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 3 tbls.)
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped (or use fresh basil)
- 1Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and a few grinds of black pepper.Saute over medium heat, gently scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to keep the onions from sticking as they caramelize. After about 35 minutes, the onions should be a rich golden color and very sweet. Add the garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the wine and deglaze the pan with it. Set the confit aside to cool.
- 2Preheat the oven to 500*F.
- 3Roll out the dough and place it on a lightly oiled pizza pan. Brush with olive oil.
- 4Spread the confit on the dough and sprinkle on the walnuts. Follow with the Gorgonzola cheese, then the mozzarella.
- 5Bake the pizza for about 8-12 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp. Remove it from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and sage.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Confit, Walnut and Gorgonzola Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1580.0
- Calories from Fat 1203
- Total Fat 133.7 g
- Saturated Fat 43.3 g
- Cholesterol 166.1 mg
- Sodium 2132.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 57.6 g