1 hr 10 mins
Onion compote can embellish broiled fish fillets or steamed vegetables. Great on pizza! Cook time can vary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan over medium heat combine onions and honey.
- 2Cook slowly until caramelized, about 45 minutes.
- 3Add vinegar and stir.
- 4Add water and reduce to low heat.
- 5Cook uncovered until liquid has been absorbed.
- 6Onions are done when they are tender, have melted together,and are moist but not wet.
- 7(More liquid and cooking time may be needed.) Whisk in butter.
- 9Let cool and store in a mason jar.
- 10When ready to use, reheat the compote over low heat and adjust seasoning.
- 11Onion compote will keep refrigerated for at least a month.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Compote
Serving Size: 1 (702 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 181.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 53.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g