Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is wonderful on hot dogs and hamburgers, it's even good on sandwiches, and will keep in the fridge for about a week or so. Plan ahead the sauce needs to chill overnight before using. You will really like this! If you love heat, then increase jalapeno peppers and the hot sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, halved lenghwise and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil (you might have to use more than 1/4 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced (can use more or less)
- 3⁄4 cup store-bought chili sauce
- 2 -4 teaspoons hot sauce (I use President's Choice brand Louisiana hot sauce, it comes in a 6 ounce bottle)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or to taste)
- salt (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook onion, covered in hot oil for about 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally (reduce heat to medium-low if onions begin to brown).
- Add in the bell pepper and jalapeno peppers; cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes, or until peppers are just tender.
- Add in all remaining ingredients; mix to combine and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate overnight beofre using.