Recipe by strawberrybird
Adapted from a recipe on TasteFood Blog. This recipe was inspired by a Swiss onion and cheese tart.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Made these for a family dinner we attend with friends every week and they were liked by all. I used gruyere cheese; the filling was very good. I may try these with homemade shells from puff pastry or pie crust, something not so crunchy. Made for I Recommend Tag.
- 24 frozen mini tart shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces gruyere or 2 ounces emmenthaler cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes. Remove onions from heat and stir in pepper. Let cool slightly.
- Place the tarts on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of each tart shell. Spoon onions into the shell and spread evenly. Sprinkle thyme over the onions. Brush the exposed crust of each tartlet with the egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven until the onions have turned a rich golden brown; about 20 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature garnished with thyme sprigs.