Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a recipe on TasteFood Blog. This recipe was inspired by a Swiss onion and cheese tart.
Make and share this Onion Cheese Tartlets recipe from Food.com.
- 24 frozen mini tart shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces gruyere or 2 ounces emmenthaler cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes. Remove onions from heat and stir in pepper. Let cool slightly.
- Place the tarts on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of each tart shell. Spoon onions into the shell and spread evenly. Sprinkle thyme over the onions. Brush the exposed crust of each tartlet with the egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven until the onions have turned a rich golden brown; about 20 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature garnished with thyme sprigs.
Made these for a family dinner we attend with friends every week and they were liked by all. I used gruyere cheese; the filling was very good. I may try these with homemade shells from puff pastry or pie crust, something not so crunchy. Made for I Recommend Tag.
Excellent little tartlets. I absolutely loved the caramelized onions. All of the flavors blended together perfectly and made for an impressive appetizer. Thank you! Made during ZWT7 for the Golden Gourmets.