Recipe by *Parsley*
Mmmmmm....onions and cheese blended into a smooth bisque.
Top Review by Chef Edlear
Oh my, this was tasty and easy. I multiplied this by 10 and it was a snap to pull together. I didn't have any sweet onions on hand, so spent the time caramelizing the yellow onions that I did have. I didn't need to add any sweeteners to them, the natural juices of the caramelized onion were enough. I used the vegetarian worcestershire sauce, and all sharp cheddar. I threw in a good sized handful of grated parmesan cheese at the end. After I pureed with the immersion blender, I added in a few cups of 1/4 inch diced caramelized onions for textural interest. We served this with our homemade rye croutons and chopped Italian parsley. I'll definately make this again, thanks!
- 3 cups chopped sweet onions, Mayans, Vidalias, Spanish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups milk, can use half and half for a richer soup
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (To make this recipe vegetarian, be sure to use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.)
- 1 dash hot sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot, saute onion in butter over medium heat until soft, but not browned.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, sage and paprika; stir constantly til flour is dissolved. Gradually stir in the milk.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce mixing until cheese melts.
- Puree soup in the pot with a stick immersion blender, (or use countertop blender/food processor) until smooth. Return to heat and heat very gently just to heat through, but do NOT boil.