Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I needed a recipe for a cheddar quick bread for our local fair. This one looked really good so I'm going to try it.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In medium frying pan, sauté chopped onions in butter.
- Set aside to cool while mixing the bread ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Mix in milk until mixture is just moist and dough like.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and pat it down into a rectangle.
- Spread the onions and cheese over the dough, setting aside a small amount of onion to cover the loaf.
- Roll dough up like a jellyroll. Pinch seams and sides together.
- Place loaf in greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 425 F for 30 minutes or until done. Serve hot for best flavor.
This bread was good, but a little crumbly. It sounded like to much baking powder, but I made it like the recipe said. I am going to reduce the baking powder to 1 tablespoon next time I make it to see it that will help. But it had a good flavor.