Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I adopted from the Recipezaar account that I am tweaking to suit my tastes.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- If using a bread meachine, add all the ingredients except the cheddar cheese in the order used by your bread machine then run the dough cycle (for my machine that is the order given, but your machine may be different).
- If not using a bread machine make the dough by following the following four steps.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast mixture, salt, oil, onion powder, chives and 2 cups flour mixture until smooth then stir in enough of the remaining flour until soft dough is formed and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board, then knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Punch down dough, then turn onto lightly floured board.
- Press into 10 x 8-inch rectangle and sprinkle with cheese then roll, starting at 8-inch side, jelly-roll style and pinch ends to seal.
- Place in 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, seam side down, cover and let raise until it is double (or desired loaf size).
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove to wire rack and cool before slicing.