Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Different side dish; onion lovers' dream.
- 4 large onions, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 3 eggs
- Peel onions, slice very thin.
- place in shallow 2 1/2 qt.
- greased casserole dish.
- Place layer of Swiss cheese over onions Layer onions and swiss cheese ONLY ONCE.
- Combine in large bowl: flour, milk, salt and Tobasco.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add egg, beat again.
- Pour over onions and cheese.
- Bake 35-40 min.
- at 350°, in 9x13" pyrex dish.
easy to make,my daughter and son in law loved it,others said if i made it with a different cheese they would of tried it not to many swiss cheese lovers, i will make this again
This is a great recipe for onion lovers! I used nice, big, Vidalia onions. I followed the recipe exactly except that I sauteed the onion slices in a bit of butter for a few minutes before putting them into the casserole dish. I was generous with the Swiss cheese, too.;) Thanx, Bliss. I'll make this again.
I made this tonight for dinner but didn't have any swiss cheese so substituted smoked gouda. WOW! Fantastic. My husband raved about it. Thank you for posting.