Recipe by Lorac
Onions baked with a cheese and bread custard like topping. Adapted from "The American Gothic Cookbook". Posted by request.
Top Review by Derf
OH BOY!! this was sooo goood!! I used Spanish onions, blue cheese and 2% milk, wonderful taste treat. Served it as a side with pork chops. The onions, blue cheese and paprika are a great combination of flavours. It is supposed to be for 4 and I hate to admit it but, the two of us ate it all!! This is going in my hard copy, thanks for sharing!!
- 4 bermuda onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices day old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 cup blue cheese or 1 cup Roquefort cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 dash hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Layer onions on the bottom of a microwave and oven safe casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High 3-5 minutes or until onions just start to soften.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Layer the bread cubes over the onions and the cheese over the bread cubes.
- Combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper and hot sauce and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese, dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 40 minutes.