Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Onions baked with a cheese and bread custard like topping. Adapted from "The American Gothic Cookbook". Posted by request.
- 4 bermuda onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices day old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 cup blue cheese or 1 cup Roquefort cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 dash hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Layer onions on the bottom of a microwave and oven safe casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High 3-5 minutes or until onions just start to soften.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Layer the bread cubes over the onions and the cheese over the bread cubes.
- Combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper and hot sauce and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese, dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
OH BOY!! this was sooo goood!! I used Spanish onions, blue cheese and 2% milk, wonderful taste treat. Served it as a side with pork chops. The onions, blue cheese and paprika are a great combination of flavours. It is supposed to be for 4 and I hate to admit it but, the two of us ate it all!! This is going in my hard copy, thanks for sharing!!
If you love onions and blue cheese, this is simply heavenly! I made this as written and wouldn't change a thing. Rich and flavorful. Thanx for posting this!
ultimate onion recipe. WE LOVE ONIONS