Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice side dish to serve with fish, chicken or lamb. To serve, a sprinkle of fresh herbs looks pretty.
- 4 red onions, sliced
- 75 g butter
- 4 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 15 ml freshly chopped fennel
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- 250 double cream
- Put the butter into a pan and heat, then add the onions and sauté until a light gold in colour, about 8 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the bacon and fennel and cook for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice, add the red wine vinegar and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the double cream, bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 4 minutes.
Very nice, very rich! I made this as a side-dish for Sunday lunch, unusual and very tasty! I cooked the onions for longer than directed, I essentially let them caramelise, that was just personal taste. So my completed dish had a deep rich colour and intense flavour. Otherwise, very easy to make, once it was finished I put into a small casserole and refrigerated overnight, I then let it warm gently in the oven next day as I finished lunch preparations. Perfect! Thank you for sharing a very good recipe!