Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Use sweet onions like Vidalia for this only. You will love this on a grilled jumbo hot dog or a grilled burger! This complete recipe can be doubled, use your own favorite brand of prepared Ranch dressing for this, I have made this using creamy cucumber dressing also or use Ranch Peppercorn dressing!
- 4 large sweet onions (sliced very thin)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsley shredded (squeeze out any moisture with hands)
- 2 cups prepared ranch dressing (or enough to cover)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper (I use about 1/2 teaspoon for a single recipe, you can use more!)
- Slice the onions into paper thin "half moons" place in a large glass bowl.
- Add in the shredded carrots, then add in the kosher salt with black pepper; toss to combine.
- In a small bowl mix together the vinegar and water; pour over the onion/carrot mixture; toss well to combine; let sit out at room temperature for 45-60 minutes.
- Drain off the liquid from the onion/carrot mixture then dry on paper towels.
- Place back in a clean dry bowl and add in prepared Ranch dressing; mix adding in more dressing if desired to achieve desired taste and consistancy.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
This was very tasty. I don't think I used as much ranch dressing as was indicated as I just used enough to coat the carrots and onions. Easy to make and a bit different than the usual slaw.