Recipe by Dancer^
This has so many uses--I'm sure you will find a bunch and LF.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
I really love the low-fat aspect of this recipe, but love the flavour of slow cooked onions even more. I added a couple of tsp of tamari, and next time I think I'll try a bit of balsamic vinegar. This is one of those recipes you can play around with to your liking. Thanks!
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a small amount of dark sesame oil in a heavy pot and heat up.
- Add the onions and a small pinch of sea salt.
- Sauté the onions, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add enough water to just cover the onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the flame to low, and simmer several hours until the onions become dark brown in color and very sweet in flavor.
- Occasionally during the cooking process, you may need to add small amounts of water to prevent burning.
- When the onions butter is done, allow to cool completely before placing it in a tightly sealed jar and refrigerating.
- Use immediately or store.
- Instead of using onions, finely chopped carrots, squash, apples, or other fruits and vegetables may be used.
- To avoid the use of oil, the water-sautéing method may be used instead.
- At the end of cooking, tamari or pureed miso can be used for a different flavor.