Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Like onions? These burgers are for you! Just don't be disappointed if people don't want to kiss you after eating one of these. By the way, they're low fat!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 10 minutes or until tender.
- Spoon onion into a bowl and let cool.
- Add beef, pepper, and egg white to onion, and stir well.
- Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Sprinkle salt evenly over surface of skillet.
- Heat salt in skillet over high heat 2 minutes.
- Add patties.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side, or until done.
I'm not a big burger fan but these were excellent! The only change I made was to cook them on the BBQ. They held together well - you just have to be careful when turning. Thanx Mirj!
Did these on the grill last week. First lined the grill with aluminum foil, and used ground beef because that's wht I had, so didn't need either the egg or oil. So they had way more fat, which helped get the onion done. I only used 1/2 cup of chopped onion. 5 stars for the great onion taste in the hamburgers. These are much better than regular hamburgers, thanks Mirj!
These were delicious!