1/10 Photos of Onion Buns
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Why bake your own sandwich buns? Because homemade is SO much better than store-bought. These soft, golden buns feature a subtle spiral of dried onion, giving them incredible aroma and marvelous flavor. They're perfect for all kinds of sandwiches—and hamburgers, of course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup water, lukewarm* (up to 1 cup, please see below)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 egg white, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- sesame, poppy, etc. (optional)
- 2Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—to make a soft, somewhat tacky dough.
- 3Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or other container large enough to allow it to at least double in bulk, cover, and let it rise for about 60 to 70 minutes, till it’s just about doubled.
- 4Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and pat/roll it into a 12" x 17" rectangle.
- 5Sprinkle the dough with the minced onion, and pat/press it into the surface gently.
- 6Starting with a short (12") end, roll the dough into a log, sealing the ends and side seam.
- 7Cut the log into eight slices.
- 8Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 9Flatten the buns till they're about 3" wide.
- 10Cover them, and allow them to rise till they’re very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 11Uncover the buns, brush them with the beaten egg white/water, and sprinkle with seeds, if desired.
- 12Bake the buns for 20 to 25 minutes, until they’re golden brown and feel set when you poke them.
- 13Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack. When completely cool, wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature.
- 14*Use the lesser amount in summer (or in a humid environment), the greater amount in winter (or in a dry climate), and somewhere in between the rest of the year, or if your house is climate controlled.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Buns
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 407.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g