Guests will think you spent hours preparing these appetizers. They are very pleasing to the eye and the taste of Brie, caramelized onions and caraway is delicious. Prep time is approximate and includes the 15 minute chill time.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white wine vinegar or 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 ounces brie cheese or 4 ounces camembert cheese, rind removed, softened
- 1 -2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large skillet, cook the onions, butter, brown sugar and vinegar over medium-low heat until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and cool to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into an 11x8 inch rectangle.
- Spread Brie over pastry.
- Cover with the onions; sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Roll up one long side to the middle of the dough; roll up the other side so the two rolls meet in the center.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; flatten to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over slices.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-14 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
These were Great. I made two batches of these one with caraway and one with out. by far everyone liked the one with the caraway. I soften the brie in the microwave to make it spreadable.I also made these ahead of time. sliced them and froze them on a cookie sheet and then popped them into a freezer bag, so they are ready when I have guest drop in. Thanks again
these were great and i can't belive i forgot to review! i have made these 2 different ways but both the the creme brie, which is easily spreadable even when cold. the first time, i made these with the pillsbury crescent sheet dough in place of the puff pastry and another time i used multi grain tortillas and just made pinwheels out of them. both ways were fantastic. thanks for posting this yummy keeper!!
I made this to take to a party and everyone loved it! Very tasty stuff. Next time I make this I think I will cut the dough in half and roll up and then slice and flatten so they are smaller bite sized pieces. All in all though this is a really impressive dish to make with great flavor. Great recipe keen5!