Guests will think you spent hours preparing these appetizers. They are very pleasing to the eye and the taste of Brie, caramelized onions and caraway is delicious. Prep time is approximate and includes the 15 minute chill time.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white wine vinegar or 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 ounces brie cheese or 4 ounces camembert cheese, rind removed, softened
- 1 -2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large skillet, cook the onions, butter, brown sugar and vinegar over medium-low heat until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and cool to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into an 11x8 inch rectangle.
- Spread Brie over pastry.
- Cover with the onions; sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Roll up one long side to the middle of the dough; roll up the other side so the two rolls meet in the center.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; flatten to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over slices.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-14 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.