1/3 Photos of Onion Bread Pudding
Like French Onion Soup? You'll love this amazing savory bread pudding along side a beef roast or chicken, or heck just make it on it's own--cheesy and oniony and bubbly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 garlic clove, split
- 6 ounces stale crusty French bread, cut into chunks
- 2 cups grated gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Melt 4 tablespoons butter with the corn or vegetable oil in a heavy pot.
- 3Toss in the onions, cover and steam over low heat for 15 minutes.
- 4Uncover the pot raise the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions re deeply browned and caramelized.
- 5Pour in the vermouth and boil until the liquid cooks away, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon all the while.
- 6Choose a shallow round 1 1/2-quart casserole dish Rub it thoroughly with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- 7Discard the garlic.
- 8Toss the bread and onions together.
- 9Spread them in the casserole dish.
- 10Melt the remaining butter and pour over the bread.
- 11Sprinkle on the cheese.
- 12Beat the eggs slightly and beat in the half and half and salt and pepper.
- 13Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and cheese.
- 14Press the bread into the liquid with a spatula.
- 15(The dish may be covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking)
- 16Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until puffed and golden.
- 17Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.7
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 215.9 mg
- Sodium 477.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 20.9 g