Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Like French Onion Soup? You'll love this amazing savory bread pudding along side a beef roast or chicken, or heck just make it on it's own--cheesy and oniony and bubbly.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 garlic clove, split
- 6 ounces stale crusty French bread, cut into chunks
- 2 cups grated gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter with the corn or vegetable oil in a heavy pot.
- Toss in the onions, cover and steam over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot raise the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions re deeply browned and caramelized.
- Pour in the vermouth and boil until the liquid cooks away, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon all the while.
- Choose a shallow round 1 1/2-quart casserole dish Rub it thoroughly with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- Discard the garlic.
- Toss the bread and onions together.
- Spread them in the casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and pour over the bread.
- Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Beat the eggs slightly and beat in the half and half and salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and cheese.
- Press the bread into the liquid with a spatula.
- (The dish may be covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking)
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Serve at once.
This was fabulous! It tasted just like french onion soup. Everyone loved it and this is bound to become one of the top requested dishes at our family gatherings. The only change I made was that I used sour dough bread instead of french. Thanks for a great recipe
This is excellent! I've already decided to add this to my holiday menu. I used big, sweet Spanish onions. I cut the butter down to 6 tbsp and used fat free half and half and it was still rich, cheesey and savory. After I rubbed the garlic in the dish I crushed it and added it right into the onions. If you love onions, you will LOVE this! Thanx for sharing!
MMMMM!!! Delicious! Even the onion haters loved this pudding! Easy and fantastic!