Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious as a snack or as an accompaniment to dinner. I had it at a party, and had to play with the recipe until I could duplicate it. Great "comfort food"
- 1 loaf bread dough (frozen or made from scratch, I use bread machine)
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 1 large bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- 177.44 ml parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml parsley
- Sauté onions in butter until limp and transparent, but not quite brown.
- Set aside.
- After dough has risen, roll out into rectangle, approx 18x22.
- Add Parmesan cheese and parsley to onion mixture and stir to combine well.
- Spread mixture over rolled out dough, to within 1 inch of edges.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, moistening edge to seal.
- Place seam side down, and bake at 350°F for approx 45 minutes.
A very nice bread and a good base recipe to be 'played' around with - next time, I'd like to add some garlic.
This bread was great. I made it as a side to soup, but had several people stop by tonight (parents of trick or treaters) who sampled slices with a glass of wine. Mmmm. It was a hit. I used frozen bread dough, and hubby actually prepared this while I dealt out candy to the earlier trick or treaters. This will become a regular feature in our house.
Terrific bread, Elissaz! I served this with Box o' wine's French Onion soup and a salad. I didn't have any parmesan, so left that out, and I used my own wheat bread recipe to make it healthier. Fiance loved it, and I froze the rest. It is not only savory but beautiful. Thanks for recommending and posting!!