Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This coarsely textured bread has the delicate flavor of onion. This is not a soft bread. It is crusty and hearty and slightly dry. Sliced, it is perfect for building those famous Dagwood sandwiches. This bread is good eaten in crusty slabs either plain or buttered along side hot soup or cool, crisp salad. It's the bread of choice in my house.
- 1 cup very warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- Place the water, sugar, and yeast in the pan of your bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam in the water for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Program your bread machine for a 1 1/2 pound basic white bread. I always choose the dark setting for the crust. This bread is excellent for the time delay feature.
The texture and crust are fabulous. I used the Basic 2 setting (1.5 lb. as stated) and the loaf rose over the top of the pan (and I have a 2 lb. capacity machine!). The only complaint I have is that the onion flavor was so faint that no one knew it was onion bread, so I think next time I will double the amount. Thanks for a great and easy recipe for the bread machine!
As I am my own breadmaker, I kneaded this dough for about 7 minutes, let it rise for about 45 minutes in an oiled bowl, in a slightly warmed oven, shaped it into 2 oiled loaf pans (I had doubled the recipe) which took about half an hour or so to rise, and baked them for about 35-40 minutes at 350*. I think they rose a little too long while waiting for the oven to heat, as the inside is almost too light - but this is very good bread and the crust is indeed delicious! Next time I will use a little more dried onions, and probably some herbs as well - this might make nice dinner rolls for Thanksgiving as well! Thank you!
as it was baking,the smell was just so incredible.i could hardly wait for it to cool off enough to cut a slice and butter it.my son is usually not a crust person,but he really enjoyed the crust from this one.this bread will be served often with soup.thank you so much for posting.