Famous Indian snack, often used as a starter to the main meal. Easy to make and good to eat. An essential part of your curry.
- 8 ounces gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- oil (for deep frying)
- Sift the flour, chilli powder, turmeric, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Get as much air into it as possible.
- Crush the seeds in mortar and pestle, add to the bowl.
- Now add the green chilli, onions and the chopped coriander. Mix in some water to make a thick batter that holds the ingredients together.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Drop spoonfulls of the batter into the oil and fry till golden brown. Place on kitchen paper to allow the excess oil to run off.
- These can be eaten as they are or with a dip.