Recipe by CountryLady
Lighter than the traditional version & quick to make! If, like me, you're not a beer drinker - I suggest using a light beer - like Molson's Canadian!!!!!!!
Top Review by chia
this was outstanding! great onion flavor. i sliced 4 onions, sweated them in oil and butter for half an hour and needed 5 cups of stock to cover.i actually simmered this for half an hour, then followed the recipe. everyone enjoyed this
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dark beer
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil; add onions& sugar, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20- 25 minutes or until the onions are slightly coloured.
- Sprinkle flour over onions& stir in.
- Slowly add the beer, pour in chicken stock and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place toast slices in ovenproof soup bowls.
- Pour broth into each bowl, sprinkle with some parsley& top with grated cheese.
- Place under broiler for a couple of minutes to melt cheese.