Lighter than the traditional version & quick to make! If, like me, you're not a beer drinker - I suggest using a light beer - like Molson's Canadian!!!!!!!
- Heat oil; add onions& sugar, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20- 25 minutes or until the onions are slightly coloured.
- Sprinkle flour over onions& stir in.
- Slowly add the beer, pour in chicken stock and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place toast slices in ovenproof soup bowls.
- Pour broth into each bowl, sprinkle with some parsley& top with grated cheese.
- Place under broiler for a couple of minutes to melt cheese.