Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lighter than the traditional version & quick to make! If, like me, you're not a beer drinker - I suggest using a light beer - like Molson's Canadian!!!!!!!
- Heat oil; add onions& sugar, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20- 25 minutes or until the onions are slightly coloured.
- Sprinkle flour over onions& stir in.
- Slowly add the beer, pour in chicken stock and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place toast slices in ovenproof soup bowls.
- Pour broth into each bowl, sprinkle with some parsley& top with grated cheese.
- Place under broiler for a couple of minutes to melt cheese.
this was outstanding! great onion flavor. i sliced 4 onions, sweated them in oil and butter for half an hour and needed 5 cups of stock to cover.i actually simmered this for half an hour, then followed the recipe. everyone enjoyed this
Maybe I did something wrong. Neither my Dh nor I cared for the taste of this soup. We used a bottle of good Bass Ale, but it just didn't blend well with the onions and the chicken stock and gave a rather bitter flavor to the soup. Sorry CL...I really wanted to like this soup and think that perhaps it's just not in tune with our taste buds.
This was different! Quite surprised with how good this came out. For the onions I chose to use Kittencal's Caramelized Onions.