Recipe by Aroostook
This is a wonderful sidedish that reheats well.
Top Review by Lorac
Delicious! Swiss cheese bubbling over layers of sweet onion and bread custard. I don't use canned milk and didn't know if it was the same consistency as regular milk, so I substitued halfand half. My 1 1/2 quart casserole didn't look large enough to hold the ingredients, so I used a 10"x10" baking dish. I had to remove it from the oven after 35 mins. because the butter was bubbling up over the sides of the dish and there was smoke billowing from the oven. The cheese could have been a bit browner but the dish finished cooking while I let it sit for 10 minutes. I loved the flavor (I used an Emmanthal Swiss) and texture combinations. The bread crusts added a bit of chewiness to bread and egg custard. Thanks Barbara, I think next time I will serve it as a main dish!
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced thin
- 6 ounces Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated swiss cheese
- 2 cups canned milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chunks of bread in a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Saute sliced onions in butter until soft.
- Pour onion/butter mixture over bread chunks.
- S& P.
- Beat eggs and milk then pour over bread/onions.
- Press bread down a bit.
- Sprinkle w/ cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes.