Recipe by evelyn/athens
A tasty accompaniment to a roast. I love having different relishes and chutneys put up to open at a moment's notice.
Top Review by JustJanS
I burned the first attempt at this, so you need to watch it more carefully than I did. The second attempt was a huge success tonight to have with a roasted shoulder of pork. I followed the directions carefully, and the finished relish is so delish! Only problem is it drops a lot of butter out as it cools. I drained a lot of that off, but it is quite congealed looking now it's cold. Doesn't affect the yummy taste, but doesn't look as appealling.
- 1⁄2 lb red onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup sultana raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan cook onions in butter with sugar, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in wine and vinegar and cook, uncovered, over moderately-high heat, stirring, for 20 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by two-thirds.
- Stir in apricots and raisins and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is evaporated and relish is thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.