From IGA booklet. Perfect for cold weather!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups peeled granny smith apples, cut in matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices toasted multigrain bread (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 cups grated firm goat cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1Preheat oven grill.
- 2In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, apples and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Sprinkle with flour and stir well. Pour in cider and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add beef stock and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 4Pour into six ovenproof individual soup bowls. Place a slice of toasted bread on soup in each bowl. Top with grated cheese and green onions.
- 5Place soup bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil under grill until cheese bubbles and is slightly browned.
- 6Serve immediately.
- 7VARIATION: Replace cider by red beer and goat’s cheese by smoked Gouda.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion-Apple Soup Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.3
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 524.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: