Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- To toast walnuts,in a large skillet melt 1 tbsp of the butter.
- Add the 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts,cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or until just toasted.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter and brown sugar in the skillet.
- Add onion.
- Reduce heat and cook uncovered,10 minutes or until tender,stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour,1/4 cup chopped nuts,baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in center.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil and chicken broth; add all at once to dry mixture using a fork stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing gently 5-6 strokes.
- Place dough on a large ungreased baking sheet; pat dough into a 10 inch circle.
- Bake at 400 for 5 minutes.
- Drain liquid from onions and then spread onions evenly over prebaked crust.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts,provolone and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-23 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on the baking sheet,on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- Makes 12 wedges.