Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I don't remember where I found this, but it sounds wonderful. Cheese, rice, and onions--what more could you want?
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 ounces swiss cheese, grated (a full cup)
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream (or milk)
- Put the water in a saucepan and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and slowly add the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add chopped onions and cook over medium heat until they are shiny and soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Place onions in bowl with the rice. Add the grated cheese and the half & half (or milk).
- Stir to mix well. Taste and correct the seasoning, add up to 1/2 tsp more salt if needed.
- Spread mixture into a baking dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
This was very good and oniony. I used half Swiss cheese and half Mexican cheese mix. I enjoyed the flavors. I added some pepper and garlic powder. Thanks!