Recipe by Simply Chris
This is so-o-o good. We don't eat potatoes very often, bu this is worth going off the diet for. Try serving with a nice prime rib roast. Another favorite from Bobby Flay.
Top Review by Sauce Lover
Loved,loved this. Next time I will try cooking the potatoes a little bit first, I thought they were a bit too firm, even after baking for the recommended time. Otherwise FAB!!!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large Spanish onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook slowly until caramelized.
- Add the garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch baking pan a place a layer of potatoes on the bottom and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/5 of the onion mixture over the potatoes and top with 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and a tablespoon of parsley.
- Repeat to make 5 layers.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the cream has been absorbed.