Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty dish for onion, garlic and potatoe lovers. The nice thing about this dish is that it's as "skinny" conscious as you can get and still have flavor
- 4 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- paprika (to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 400 degreesF.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with oil.
- Cook the potatoes covered in cold water, bring to boil and simmer until just tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet and over medium-low heat cook the onions and garlic until the onions begin to brown (Apprx 15 minutes).
- Spread a thin layer of potatoes in the baking dish, sprinkle with thyme, salt& pepper.
- Top with a layer of onions.
- Repeat layers twice ending with a layer of onions.
- Pour in Milk and sprinkle with Paprika.
- Bake until lightly browned (about 20 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
Did it again Bergy!! I microwaved the spuds, cooked the onions, put it together in the am and cooked it later that night. The onion and potato each had their flavours come through distinctly. Good veggie dish.
Very nice, simple dish, but I'm wondering if the milk is perhaps a tad too much. I had this pool of milk lying at the bottom of the dish even after baking. Is it supposed to be like that? Or is my oven really terrible? :) I had to substitute thyme with oregano, and it tasted really wonderful!
Very tasty comfort food! I did not boil the potatoes at all. I sliced them very thin with my mandolin and layered with the sauteed onion/garlic mix, covered with parchment paper and popped in the oven for 45 minutes. I omitted the milk entirely. The caramelized onions made this dish!!