- 3 cups onions, thinly sliced (about 3 onions)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup 35% cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in the butter until the onions turn a rich golden brown, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and add the Parmigiano, thyme and nutmeg. Mix well and adjust the seasoning. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the mixture to 1 or 2 ramekins. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve with toast.