Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe in the November 2005 issue of the Australian magazine 'Table: easy family food for every day of the week', and posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. The pastry used in this recipe has been posted separately: Rich Shortcrust Pastry.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 kg white onions or 1 kg red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 quantity rich shortcrust pastry (omit the sugar and vanilla)
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted
- Heat the olive oil in a preferably non-stick pan over a low heat, and sauté the onions and garlic, until they are softened but not browned, for about 25 minutes. Drain and reserve the oil; and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, lightly grease a 29cm x 21cm rectangular flan pan, and press the pastry firmly into the pan. Trim and discard any excess pastry and chill the pastry-lined pan for 15 minutes.
- Spread the onions and garlic over the pastry, top with the sliced tomatoes, anchovy fillets and olives, and drizzle with the reserved oil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Gorgeous! I added some rosemary to the red onions, and some goat's cheese before baking it. Wonderful!